Matthew VanEck, MAI
Valuation Advisory Services
Matthew VanEck joined Kidder Mathews Valuation Advisory Services in April 2017. Mr. VanEck was most recently a valuation services director with Colliers International Valuation & Advisory Services in their Irvine and Ontario offices. Prior to joining Colliers, he worked at American Appraisal where he headed the real estate and related assets practice for their Los Angeles office. Other work experience includes FMV Opinions, FTN Midwest Research, and Merrill Lynch. Mr. VanEck entered the field of commercial real estate in 2005. He was awarded with the MAI designation in 2012.
Mr. VanEck’s appraisal experience consist of valuing traditional operating properties including all types of retail, office, and industrial properties, as well as specialty properties such as hotels, studios, marinas, aggregate mines, railroad right-of-ways, rail yards, utility easements, conservation easements, and residential and commercial land developments. He has experience in performing valuations for tax reporting, financing, property tax appeals, eminent domain, litigation support, and US financial accounting purposes. Overall, Mr. VanEck has performed appraisal assignments in 30 states and the District of Columbia.
Mr. VanEck is active with the Southern California Chapter of the Appraisal Institute. He currently sits at the second advisor for the southern branch. Past leadership positions include nominating committee (2015), co-chair of the candidate guidance committee (2013) and alternate regional representative (2010). From 2010 to 2016, Mr. VanEck was also a board member for the non-profit community organization, Orange County Head Start. Over that period of time, he was elected as the board’s treasurer (2011 and 2012), vice chair (2013), and chair (2014).
B.S. University of Southern California
Professional Memberships, Accreditations & Licenses
- MAI designation – Appraisal Institute
- State of California – Certified General Real Estate Appraiser (AG 042827)
- Luce, Forward, Hamilton & Scripps LLP – San Diego, CA – A Review of Conservation Easement Court Cases – July 2010.
- The North County Estate Planning Council – San Diego, CA – A Review of Conservation Easement Court Cases – January 2011.
- Institute for Professionals in Taxation, 2013 Property Tax Symposium – Indian Wells, CA – Valuation and Assessment Issues With Leaseholds – November 2013.
CCIM Magazine (September/October 2009) – Cap Rate Calculations: How do investors determine ROI in an unsteady market?