Matthew VanEck, MAI
Senior Vice President
Valuation Advisory Services
Matthew VanEck is a senior vice president with Kidder Mathews Valuation & Advisory Services, in the Irvine office. He has been active in real estate appraisal and consulting for nearly 15 years. Prior to joining Kidder Mathews, Mr. VanEck was a Valuation Services Director at Colliers International. Other experience includes working at American Appraisal where he headed the real estate and related assets practice for their Los Angeles office.
Mr. VanEck’s appraisal experience consist of valuing traditional operating properties (retail, office and industrial), as well as specialty properties including studios, marinas, aggregate mines, railroad right-of-ways, rail yards, utility easements, conservation easements and land developments. He has experience in performing valuations for tax reporting, financing, property tax appeals, eminent domain, litigation support and financial accounting purposes. Overall, Mr. VanEck has performed appraisal assignments in over 30 states and the District of Columbia.
Mr. VanEck is active with the Southern California Chapter of the Appraisal Institute. He currently sits as the vice-chair for the Southern Branch. Past leadership positions include Nominating Committee (2015), Co-Chair of the Candidate Guidance Committee (2013) and Alternate Regional Representative (2010). He is also a member of the International Right of Way Association Orange County Chapter 67 and in 2017 was elected as the Public Agency Liaison chair. From 2010 to 2016, Mr. VanEck was also a board member for the non-profit community organization, Orange County Head Start. Over that period of time, he was elected as the Board’s Chair, Vice Chair and Treasurer.
B.S. University of Southern California
Professional Memberships, Accreditations & Licenses
- Designated Member of Appraisal Institute (MAI)
- Member of the International Right of Way Association
- State of California General Certified Real Estate Appraiser (No. AG042827)
Sample Specialized Appraisal Experience
- Valued Universal Studios complex comprising more than 350 acres along US Highway 101 in Studio City area of Los Angeles, California. The property included over 7 million square feet of improvements including offices, studios, the CityWalk retail complex, Universal Studios theme park, and parking garages with a capacity of more than 10,000 cars.
- Valued 30+ commercial and residential properties along Highway 395 in Adelanto, CA for eminent domain purposes in connection with a widening of the highway by Caltrans. Analyzed impacts from partial fee takings, temporary construction, utility and prescriptive easements and taking of access rights.
- Valued parcels in Century City for a taking for the MTA Purple Line extension. The properties included the last remaining undeveloped site for major construction (approximately 5 acres) in the center of Century City. The property also included a TCE for a smaller property planned for development of multi-family residences. A third site is a TCE over a bus lay-down area.
- Valued a 2,500 mile railroad (Dakota, Minnesota & Eastern) which is located in Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa, Wyoming, Missouri, and Nebraska. The valuation was completed for a FIRPTA Analysis for a sale to a foreign company.
Qualified As An Expert In The Following Venues
- JAMS – Orange and Century City, California
- Institute for Professionals in Taxation, 2013 Property Tax Symposium – Indian Wells, CA – Valuation and Assessment Issues With Leaseholds – November 2013.
- The North County Estate Planning Council – San Diego, CA – A Review of Conservation Easement Court Cases – January 2011.
- Luce, Forward, Hamilton & Scripps LLP – San Diego, CA – A Review of Conservation Easement Court Cases – July 2010.
- Valuation Alert, “Lack of Perpetual Protection Perpetuates IRS Victories” (Jan. 2012)
- Valuation Alert, “Simmons Appeal. Taxpayer Position Sustained” (June 2011)
- Valuation Alert, “A Mortgage Invalidates a Façade Easement . . . Again!” (Apr. 2011)
- Valuation Alert, “A Valuation Victory for the IRS” (Jan. 2011)
- Valuation Alert, “An Easy Easement Win for the IRS?” (Sept. 2010)
- Valuation Alert, “Can a Mortgage Invalidate a Façade Easement Deduction?” (Apr. 2010)
- CCIM Magazine, “Cap Rate Calculations: How do investors determine ROI in an unsteady market?” (Sept./Oct. 2009)