Brett I. Reynolds, MAI, CCIM
Senior Vice President, Shareholder
Valuation Advisory Services
Mr. Reynolds has approximately 13 years of experience in the real estate industry, with emphasis in both real estate valuation and real estate acquisition / asset management. Real estate valuation assignment uses range from financial reporting, feasibility and market studies, acquisition due-diligence, consulting, buy-out negotiations, property tax appeals, estate and gift, and litigation work. As a designated member of the Appraisal Institute (MAI) and Certified Commercial Investment Manager (CCIM), Mr. Reynold’s valuation expertise has been successfully relied upon as an expert witness for Federal Tax Court.
Asset classes valued range from master-planned developments, high density apartment complexes, office and industrial buildings, retail shopping centers and a number of larger real estate portfolios. Specialized valuation work has involved varying property interests and special-purpose properties, such as conservation land, golf courses, aggregate mines, self-storage facilities, assisted living facilities, marinas, airport leasehold, life estates, a sway easement and multiple Caribbean hotel development projects.
Professional Affiliations & Awards
- Designated Member of Appraisal Institute (MAI)
- Certified Commercial Investment Member (CCIM)
B.S., University of Southern California (USC)
- State of California Real Estate Appraiser License
- State of Arizona Real Estate Appraiser License
- State of Alaska Real Estate Appraiser License
- State of Hawaii Real Estate Appraiser License
- State of Nevada Real Estate Appraiser License
- State of Oregon Real Estate Appraiser License
Valuation & Advisory Experience
Federal Tax Court Litigation
Expert witness for Federal Tax Court case involving a retrospective date of valuation (2006) and a portfolio of multifamily properties in Monterey, California. Properties suffered from a significant amount of water, mold and termite damage. Portfolio blockage analysis was also required.
Portfolio Valuation Experience
- Irrigated farmland and rangeland portfolio (>50,000 acres)
- Multi-family apartment portfolio exceeding 8,000 apartment units
- National mall portfolio exceeding 235 properties and 42 million square feet
- Industrial portfolio exceeding 2 billion square feet of rentable space
Financial Reporting & Audit Assist Experience
- €1.9 billion European logistics portfolio
- Non-performing debt encumbering a portfolio of +/- 290 assets located in Italy
- Portfolio of industrial properties located in Japan
- Data center valuation(s) for the GoDaddy (M&A activity)
Specialized Valuation Work
Valued a prominent coastal land holding in Northern California involving a retrospective stigma analysis resulting from the Cosco Busan oil spill (2007). It was encumbered by a conservation easement and involved 30 acres, three residences, a fresh water lake, and non-usable tidelands.
International Development Project(s)
Valued +/- 207-acre resort development in Bermuda comprising a mix of fee simple and leasehold interests subject to a swap agreement. Additional projects include a 1,438 acre atoll in French Polynesia planned for an upscale resort development and multiple Caribbean hotel developments in St. Kitts/Nevis and the Dominican Republic.
Acquisitions & Asset Management
Prior experience managing a diverse real estate portfolio valued in excess of $100 million. Responsibilities included interfacing with investors; negotiating for the record $25.5 million sale of the self-storage facility to a private UPREIT; identifying the up-leg 400 unit multifamily complex for the 1031 exchange; operational budgets and debt restructuring for existing portfolio of apartment buildings (1,500 units).
- Successfully completed a +/- 23 mile solo crossing (swim) of the English Channel in 2012 to raise money for the Cure Alzheimer’s Foundation.
- Scholarship athlete on USC’s Division I, NCAA National Championship water polo team (2003) and participant in World University Games in South Korea.