James K. Bennett
Executive Vice President
LIC # 00869074
With over 30 years of experience in Bay Area commercial real estate, Mr. Bennett is well qualified to advise tenants and investors on negotiating lease and sale transactions. Mr. Bennett’s extensive real estate skill-set encompasses a multitude of disciplines including tenant and landlord representation, investment sales, asset management, development, valuation and investment consulting.
Over the years, Mr. Bennett has represented a wide variety of tenants including life science firms, Fortune 500’s, international banks, foreign consulates and technology firms. He has also represented a diverse range of investors, ranging from institutional multi-national investment firms to local building owners.
Mr. Bennett is currently a senior member of the firm’s life science group and is involved in major tenant and landlord assignments throughout the SF Bay Area. He is also the managing
partner of Kidder Mathews’ San Francisco office.
B.A. in Urban Planning with minors in Economics and Geography: San Francisco State University, San Francisco, California.
Select Project Experience
- Represented Amgen Inc. in over 500,000 sq. ft. of lease transactions in South San Francisco and Fremont.
- Represented Bayer Healthcare in the relocation of a global research division into a new 55,000 sq. ft. facility at 455 Mission Bay Blvd. South, Mission Bay, San Francisco.
- Represented Bristol-Myers Squibb in a strategic analysis of the market and the execution of a consolidation strategy by way of a new lease for 133,000 sq. ft. in the San Francisco Peninsula Market. Arranged subsequent expansions of 60,000 and 61,000 additional sq. ft. to create a three-building campus of 255,000 sq. ft.
- Represented FivePrime Therapeutics in the relocation and expansion of their laboratory and office facility into 81,000 sq. ft. at Two Corporate Drive, South San Francisco.
- Represented Veracyte, Inc. in a 56,000 sq. ft. relocation and expansion of their laboratory and office facilities at 6000 Shoreline Court, South San Francisco.
- Represented Nektar Therapeutics, Inc. in their HQ relocation by way of a 102,000 sq. ft. sublease transaction at 455 Mission Bay Boulevard South, Mission Bay, San Francisco. Subsequently arranged a 24,000 sq. ft. expansion and an additional renewal and expansion totaling 153,000 sq.ft.
- Represented Pfizer, Inc. in a 100,000 sq. ft. lease transaction at 455 Mission Bay Boulevard South, Mission Bay, San Francisco.
- Represented Alexandria Real Estate Equities in the marketing of the 2.6 M sq. ft. development project at Mission Bay, San Francisco. This included major leases with tenants such as Celgene Corporation, UCSF, Illumina and Pfizer along with the $278 million sale of 14 acres to SalesForce.com and the sale of a 232,000 sq.ft. development project to Kaiser Permanente.
- Represented Prudential and SKS in the leasing of a four-building laboratory project at Harbor Bay Business Park in Alameda. Completed over 300,000 sq. ft. of new leases and renewals to the FDA, Celera, All Cells, Biotime and Penumbra.
- On behalf of Sirna Therapeutics & Merck, Inc., completed 67,000 sq. ft. of lease transactions at 1700 Owens, Mission Bay, San Francisco.
- Represented Lowe Enterprises in the acquisition and subsequent sale of the 270,000 sq. ft. development at 500 Terry Francois Blvd., Mission Bay, San Francisco.
- Represented ECOR-SF Holdings in the sale of a Mission Bay development site to The Shorenstein Company entitled for a 450,000 sq. ft. office/laboratory project.
- Represented Bristol-Myers Squibb in a 60,000 sq. ft. lease transaction at 395 Oyster Point Blvd. in South San Francisco.
- Represented InSite Vision in the 40,000 sq. ft. expansion and renewal of their laboratory and office facilities at 965 Atlantic and 2020 Challenger in Alameda.
- Represented Amgen Inc. and Onyx Pharmaceuticals in the subleasing of five South San Francisco laboratory buildings totalling 750,000 sq. ft.
- Represent Wareham Properties in the leasing of their laboratory portfolio in Berkeley and Emeryville.
- e-mail James
101 Mission Street, Suite 2100
San Francisco, CA 94105
Select Client List
- Alexandria Real Estate Equities
- Amgen Inc.
- Amersham Biosciences
- Asia Foundation
- Bayer Healthcare
- Bristol-Myers Squibb
- FivePrime Therapeutics
- Friedman Billings Ramsey
- GE Healthcare
- InSite Vision
- National Medical Services
- Nektar Therapeutics
- Oncology Therapeutics Network
- Onyx Pharmaceuticals
- Perkins & Will
- Sirna Therapeutics
- SKS Investments
- Veracyte, Inc.
- Wareham Properties